One of the oldest enchanters in League, Janna, is about to get a much-needed VFX update.
There are many different types of updates Riot does in various sizes. These can range from massive scaled Comprehensive Gameplay Updates (CGU) to much smaller Visual Effects Updates (VFX). According to a blog post from a senior VFX artist in Riot, Kevin “Sirhaian” Leroy, VFX updates are mainly started and are now done as personal projects by a team of “passion-fueled VFX artists.” And as such, these updates are not as far-reaching as other types of champion changes.
Janna VFX update
There is no scheduling or prior announcements regarding VFX updates, as Riot leaves the individual artists to pick and choose which champion they would like to work on. This new update for Janna comes from a Rioter known as Pehrek, and it was just posted today on the subreddit Rioters use to get feedback on PBE changes.
VFX updates don’t involve any changes to the abilities of a champion, just the visual effects. These effects can be anything from spells they cast, the effects that play around them when they emote, to explosions, and sometimes even the quick cast indicators. Janna had already received a mid-scope update to improve her kit previously with patch 12.2, but the community still had some complaints about her visual effects, which are pretty old at this point.
Janna is the 34th champion Riot ever released, she came out way back in 2009 and never received any individual updates to her model. With this change, her base skin will get a complete overhaul, and her individual skins will also be adjusted accordingly. Of course, not every skin costs the same. Riot has a policy when it comes to skin updates. With the skin price rising, so does the attention it gets.
The new Janna with the upgraded VFX will be available for players to check out with the new 12.19 PBE patch cycle on September 21, when 12.18 goes live. For now, you can check out the LeaguePBE post or the pre-PBE video Riot Pehrek shared.
Complete list of Janna VFX changes for all skins
- Base Janna: Complete Overhaul
- Tempest Janna: Same as base
- Hextech Janna: Complete Overhaul
- Frost Queen Janna: Complete Overhaul
- Victorious Janna: Complete Overhaul
- Forecast Janna: Complete Overhaul
- Fnatic Janna: Same as base, but with a custom W
- Star Guardian Janna: Adding impact effect to Q and Tornado small update, new healing VFX on R
- Sacred Sword Janna: Adding impact effect to Q and Tornado small update, new healing VFX on R
- Bewitching Janna: Adding impact effect to Q and Tornado small update, new healing VFX on R
- Guardian of the Sands Janna: Adding impact effect to Q and Tornado small update, new healing VFX on R
- Battle Queen Janna: Adding impact effect to Q, new healing VFX on R
- Crystal Rose Janna: Adding impact effect to Q, new healing VFX on R
- Cyber Halo Janna: Adding impact effect to Q, new healing VFX on R
Prestige Cyber Halo Janna: Adding impact effect to Q, new healing VFX on R